West Pakistan Textbook Board was established in July 1962 through West Pakistan Textbook Ordinance XLI of 1962. In the beginning, West Pakistan Textbook Board adopted books published by private publishing houses. Development of textbooks was taken by the Board in the late sixties and up to 1970 the Board had developed 17 textbooks. The term, ‘West Pakistan Textbook Board’ was substituted by the ‘Punjab Textbook Board’ by the Ordinance V of 1971. Authors were commissioned for writing manuscripts in light of the approved curricula and then sent to Federal Ministry of Education for approval. After receipt of N.O.C. from the Federal Ministry of Education, the textbooks were produced & marketed.
The present Textbook Board is the successor of the Punjab Textbook Committee which was brought into existence in 1877 (and re-designated as Advisory Board for Books in 1937). State monopoly of the textbook trade was abolished in 1877 and twenty years later the practice of giving contracts for the publication of books to private sector was adopted. The shortcomings and laxities for the system multiplied though it retained its essential features for more than four decades. The chaotic state of the textbook trade during this period drew sharp comments from a Committee of inquiry in 1938 which proposed that, as against unrestricted competition prevailing in this sphere there should be a dozen sets of books only on the approved list in each subject.
Coloured books were introduced for primary school in the late seventies and soon afterwards for middle school too, in order to make the content presentation attractive and eye catching.After 1980, Punjab Textbook Board used to get the manuscript written through open competition. Best three manuscripts were selected and after scrutiny best of the best was sent to Federal Ministry of Education for approval.